View Single Post
Old 12-30-2002, 07:47 PM   #39
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I only know some parts of the speech unfortunetly. <BR>Does anyone know the whole thing?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Fortunately, I fell in love with that speech and have memorized it:<P>It's just like the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's just a passing thing, this shadow. Even the darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it'll shine out the clearer. Those were the ones that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holding on to something. [Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?] That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.<P>*takes a bow* Once you've seen it six times, it's not that hard (sorry, I know I'm bragging) Sorry if that was a bit off topic, Diamond<P>Faramir-<P>Best line: He was my brother (with the small cracking in the voice )<P>Worst line: ...a chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his quality...