View Single Post
Old 01-12-2003, 03:59 PM   #25
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My predictions for RotK:<P>I think PJ and co. are going to up the volume: i.e., focus a lot on the battles and dispense with many of the quieter moments, at least as far as the non-Ringbearers are concerned. This means that the battle of the Pelennor fields is going to be fabulous beyond our wildest dreams, but I predict that things like Flotsam and Jetsam are probably going to get less than five minutes of screen time. I hope the Houses of Healing scenes are kept relatively intact, but wouldn't be surprised if they took up less than ten minutes.<P>I bet that Ghan-buri-ghan, Elladan, Elrohir, Halbarad, Imrahil and possibly even Beregond are not going to be included because they would take time to introduce. The only new character the movie must make time for is Denethor.<P>Galadriel challenged Elrond to help Men instead of sitting idly by in TTT. She sent Haldir to Helm's Deep, so that probably means Rivendell elves are going to show up at some point. I bet they'll appear where Halbarad was supposed to be.<P>As was mentioned on the "Hope for the Dunedain" thread, the Northern Rangers are out. That leaves Arwen to bring Narsil and the standard of the King to Aragorn herself. (Unless Elrond does it.) This will allow PJ to wrap up the Eowyn/Aragorn thing neatly (by having Aragorn's beautiful elf fiancee show up) and will give Eowyn extra incentive to ride off to glory/suicide. I hope Arwen doesn't ride down the Paths of the Dead or take part in the Pelennor battle, though. The only elf I want to see there is Legolas.<P>All side battles (Mirkwood, the dwarfs, etc.) won't be shown. <P>Shelob will definitely be an eye-opener given the high quality of the monsters seen so far, but I think a lot of the walking, running out of water and other toil associated with the Ringbearer's quest are going to be glossed over. Mount Doom will be awesome, though.<P>I don't know what will happen to Faramir. I'm afraid his romance with Eowyn will be downplayed. PJ spent so much time building up the Aragorn/Arwen thing he might not have room for another romance. (Though if he does that, he'll deserve to have book fangirls claw his eyes out!) Faramir may actually have more of a role in the movie than the book. Or at least I can hope. (After all, all he does in the third book is get shot, spend a lot of time unconscious and then make awkward passes at Eowyn, bless the man!) He can be Pippin's guide (instead of Beregond), take over the City once Denethor's dead (as I predict Imrahil's out) and maybe get some proper battle scenes in before he gets shot.<P>I hope the wedding isn't too cheesy. Galadriel told Aragorn (in the extended FotR) that they wouldn't meet again, so I guess she isn't going to be there. Does that mean she'll leave Middle Earth in the middle of the movie before the Hevens scene?<P>I wonder if Legolas and Gimli will be in the Havens scene. They kind of disappeared in the book, so I'd be happy to actually see them leave prematurely with Gandalf and the others. Hmm. Come to think of it, Aragorn and Arwen might show up to say goodbye. That way there can be a big emotional farewell between all the members of the Fellowship to cap the movie.<P>I'm looking forward to RotK but I'm going to be so sad when it's over! <P>-Lily