View Single Post
Old 01-17-2003, 06:00 AM   #49
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I just think it will be too tempting for PJ to redeem Gollum a bit at the end, and I can't really say a disappove. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> man, he kills his best bud while the Ring is still wet from coming out of the water <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Quite right, he does. The wages of sin is death. The book is chock full of just desserts to people like Saruman, Isildur, Sméagol, Wormtongue. There isn't a single bad guy that goes unpunished, I don't think. If the Petester makes Sméagol consciously helpful at the end, it will be yet another lighthearted change without regard to the bigger picture. I'm getting more and more pessimistic about this scene now, since the book version doesn't seem very Hollywood. Maybe Sam will get fired up and shove Gollum in. Or they'll do the old cliché where the baddie falls and the goodie tries to save them, only to have them slip away.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Certainly don't want to waste valuable screen time on the whole reason for the movie when there's a one-chapter battle scene you can stretch out over 3 hours. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Oooh - scathing! Meow! Hiss! Totally deserved, though. Same with the new Star Wars movies, the editors of FOTR and probably TTT sacrificed important plot and character development for the more expensive battle and special effects/costume scenes. Thanks to you, Aratlithiel, I now have a mental image of PJ crouched over a can of film with the label "Helm's Deep" saying "It's mine! My own... my love... my... precioussss!"