View Single Post
Old 01-12-2003, 06:56 PM   #12
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Wow! Some very interesting and well considered responses. Thank you everyone. <P>I can understand disappointment/dismay. I too felt disappointed when I saw TTT that some of my favourite scenes had been omitted and that my interpretation of the characters was not necessarily reflected in the film interpretation (it annoyed me, for example, that Treebeard and co had to be tricked into attacking Isengard). <P>But, this was a film made for mass audiences - it had to be to pull in the money required for it to be made in the first place. Given that, it was never going to remain completely true to the book and there were always going to be aspects of it that rankled with the fans (I agree with you Kalessin about the Legolas shield surfing )<P>But is that enough to justify the anger?<P><B>Doug</B>: I agree that the continuity errors are unforgiveable on such a major production. I did not notice them myself, but I have seen many a discussion thread listing them. Again, however, is that sufficient to incur the wrath that this film has been subject to amongst the fans?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> If we make a good film, we'll be forgiven, whatever the crimes we commit to the book <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B>Gandalf</B>: I think this sums up the problem faced by anyone making a large production film based upon such well-loved books. Jackson is correct in my view - he made a good film and can be forgiven his "crimes".<P><B>Kalessin</B>: I like the Frank Herbert quote regarding the Dune film. I have read Dune and seen the film and feel about them much the same as I do about LotR: Great book, good film - but one cannot be compared with the other. Comparing FotR and TTT with other films of the same genre (and, indeed, other similar genres), I think that they stand up extremely well indeed.<P>So, I am still puzzled as to why TTT has generated quite so much anger. I can see <B>how</B> people have reacted, but do not really understand <B>why</B>, given that this is a film adaptation of the book for mass audiences. It is not the book itself, and takes nothing away from the book. Indeed, my impression is that the films have introduced many to JRRT's works that might not otherwise have read them. Is that not a worthy outcome in itself?