View Single Post
Old 05-22-2002, 01:53 AM   #22
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Saxony, yes. That's why I've done this. I figure, why should I be the only one to benefit? And you're very welcome, of course.<P>I can't claim to be an expert on weapons, (that may be my next research project ), but as far as one-handed and two-handed swords are concerned.. pick up even a broomstick and try some of these moves. Even with a lighter weight, a two-handed grip on something so large and awkward more than doubles your precision. <P>Something that doesn't come across until you actually fence is how the slightest angle makes a profound difference in the success of your attack or defence. Shooting, say a gun, you don't have to be on your toes in the same way.<P>That's why stage fighting has to be so jazzed up. In the real thing, the movements between one and the next moment are slight and smooth, with the angle of attack and parry counting most. Only an expert can tell the difference between a good fighter and a bad, but they can tell right away, from a hundred subtle clues.<P>My understanding is the swords in the movie are custom designs. Someone who knows more about these weapons would better be able to recognize from where, historically, the features were borrowed.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.swordsofhonor.com/lorofringlam.html" TARGET=_blank>Here's a link to Glamdring.</A> <P>Alas, neither Boromir's blade nor Anduril are featured. Maybe later their likenesses will be released.<p>[ May 22, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]