View Single Post
Old 06-01-2002, 02:41 AM   #28
Estel the Descender
Haunting Spirit

Estel the Descender has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Estel the Descender
Sting

I read in Froissart's <I>Chronicles</I> that a French squire used his two-handed sword as a lance during the battle of Poitiers. Presumably, he couched it like a lance. This was during the 1350s. <P>In <I>Ars Gladitoria:A Fighting Treatise, 15th century </I>by Fillipo Vadi (found in <A HREF="http://www.chronique.com/Library/Fighting/vadi_translation.html)" TARGET=_blank>http://www.chronique.com/Library/Fighting/vadi_translation.html)</A> Chapter 6 describes the very same cuts taught by Maril plus one: the thrust. Fendenti means the downward cuts, rota means the upward cuts, volanti are the horizontal cuts, and the punta is of course the thrust.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <B>Chapter 6</B> <BR><I>The seven strokes of the sword</I> <P>We are fendenti and we do question, <BR>of often cleaving and cutting with sorrow <BR>head and teeth in a straight way, <P>and every low guard <BR>with our talent often we break , <BR>easily passing the one and the other. (NOTE: meaning "all of them") <P>Our strokes leave bloody marks, <BR>and if we mix with rota <BR>of all the art we'll do our support. <P>Fendente, we bring the fear of wounds, <BR>we come back in guard from passage to passage, <BR>note that we are not slow to wound. <P>I am the rota and I have in me such strenght, <BR>if I mix with other strokes: <BR>that I'll often notch the arrow. (NOTE: meaning to be dangerous). <P>I can't use loyalty and courtesy, <BR>rotating I pass trough straight fendente <BR>without hesitation I ruin arms and hands. <P>People gives me the name rota, <BR>I look for the sword's falsity, (NOTE: the Italian word is "falsit‡", and can be interpreted both as "false edge" and as "falsity". Considering the previous stanza and the following sentence, I think that the second meaning is to be preferred.) <BR>I sharpen the mind of he who uses me. <P>We are volanti and we always go crosswise, <BR>from knee upwards we wound, <BR>we are often banished by fendente and punte. <P>Across us without failing goes <BR>the upwards striking rota, <BR>and with fendente warms our cheeks. <P><B>Chapter 7</B> <BR><I>Of the punta</I> <P>I am she who question all the strokes, <BR>and I'm called the punta: <BR>I am venomous as the scorpion; <P>and I feel strong, daring and ready, <BR>I often cause the changing of stances <BR>when somebody uses me in combat <BR>and when I arrive my touch means harm. <P><B>Chapter 8</B> <BR><I>About cuts and thrusts</I> <P>Rota with fendente and volante <BR>against the thrusts are said, and so is shown <BR>that these are not so dangerous. <P>And when they (the thrusts) come at our presence, <BR>all blows make them lose the way, <BR>also losing in the process the chance to strike. <P>The swords stroke doesn't change direction: <BR>the punta has little value against he who quickly turns, <BR>the blows open their own way as they go. <P>If you haven't a weak memory, <BR>if the punta doesn't hit, it loses its burst, <BR>and then all other blows are good to defend. <P>Against one the thrust finds good use, <BR>and against many it does no more its duty: <BR>this is required by the document and act. (NOTE: the last part seems to be there only for the rhyme in Italian) <P>If the thrust turns into rota do not fear: <BR>if it takes not at once a good fendente, <BR>it remains without fruit, in my opinion. <P>Keep here your mind for a while, <BR>if punta enters and does not exit quickly, <BR>your partner will sorely strike back. <P>Cutting a blow your sword is dead <BR>if the point loses its way while striking <BR>unless the low cross helps you. <P>I'll strike a straight fendente with the sword <BR>and I'll pull you out of your stance, <BR>so that you go in a bad place. <P>Don't lose an hour of time <BR>and learn the long times with the serene hand, <BR>this puts you over the others and honors you. <P>Break every low stance. <BR>Low stances resist only weak loads, <BR>and so the heavier break them easily. <BR>A heavy weapon doesn't pass quickly in the opening, <BR>the light one comes and goes as an arrow with the bow. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The strokes were evidently used to counter other strokes: it was assumed that the knight was wearing good ol' Milanese armor.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <B>Chapter 15</B> <BR><I>Reason (principles) of sword against the rota.</I><P>There are many who base themselves <BR>in rotating strongly from each side; <BR>be sure to be warned <P>as he rotates his sword, <BR>rotate your own, and you'll win the tests. <P>Match yourself with him in striking, <BR>and be sure to go <P>with your sword after his one. <BR>To make this clearer to your mind, <P>you can go in boar's tooth, <BR>and if he rotates, <P>you also rise from low to high. <BR>Hear and understand my principles you <P>who are new to the art or expert too, <BR>I want you to be sure <P>that this is the true art and science. <BR>Consider that, for a scale's line <P>the partner will be in porta di ferro, <BR>this I put in your heart, <P>be in posta sagitaria. <BR>Be sure that your point doesn't sway, <P>that of the partner covers the sword, <BR>go slightly out of the way <P>straightening up sword and hand with the point. <BR>When your sword has come at the cross, <P>then do the thirteenth closing technique, <BR>as you see it well <P>painted in our book with seven papers. <BR>You can also use in this art <P>strokes and close techniques that you find simpler; <BR>leave the more complex, <P>take those favoring your side <BR>and often you'll have honour in the art. <P><B>Chapter 16 </B><BR><I>Sword teachings</I> <P>Your sword should be like <BR>a shield which covers you all. <BR>Now take this fruit, <P>which I give you for your mastery. <BR>Be sure that your sword never be, <P>striking or guarding, far from you. <BR>Oh, how a good thing it is <P>to have your sword doing a short run. <BR>Your point should be directed in the face <P>of the partner, in guards or while striking; <BR>you'll take away his courage, <P>seeing always the point in front of him. <BR>And you'll do your play always in front, <P>with your sword and with small turning, <BR>with serene and agile hand, <P>often breaking the partner's time, <BR>you'll weave a web well different from a spider’s. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I hope my contribution helps!<p>[ June 01, 2002: Message edited by: Estel the Descender ]