View Single Post
Old 02-12-2003, 11:17 AM   #13
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Concerning Saruman and the wheel.<P>This picture has been floated around, but I've heard there were multiple deaths filmed, so he may be skewered on the wheel and he may not.<P>As for the content, as I've mentioned before, there is less content then FoTR. As well, there are limited new major characters and locations to introduce. The only major character left is Denethor and the Steward of Gondor has already been talked about in earlier films. The audience will understand where he fits in within seconds.<P>This is very different then in Two Towers, where PJ had to introduce Rohan, Theoden, Eowyn, Eomer and Wormtongue and how all these characters fit together. Doing all that takes time.<P>Of the three books, I think Return of the King will be the easiest to adapt. The characters and locations are mostly established and it builds to a natural and cohesive climax. The story is far more linear then the meandering FoTR and the scattered TTT. <P>If there are people out there that are chess players, the phases of chess are an apt metephor. <P>FoTR was the opening, introducing most of the major characters, their relationships and the world in which they inhabit. Its purpose was to get all the pieces into solid positions so the main bulk of the story can be started.<P>TTT was the middle-game. Middle-game is always the most complex and tricky and I think TTT was the most difficult of the three books to adapt. <P>RoTK is endgame. If the opening and the middle-game were played right, the endgame becomes easy. The pieces are where we want them to be, now it's time for the real fun.<P>Sorry, long post, but I think people should relax. I think Return of the King should definately be the best of the three films.<P>H.C.