View Single Post
Old 04-23-2003, 11:22 AM   #14
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Sting

The role itself was well acted and the script for the character was well written, although the Arwen portrayed in the movie was not at all like the Arwen Tolkien wrote about. In fact, I think that she was more like the book version of Eowyn. Although the role was well done, I wish that they would have stayed closer to Tolkien's orignial character rather than, more or less, creating a completly new one. I can understand that the had to play her role up a bit, since the veiwers who may not have read the books would be extremly confused as to who Arwen was and where she came in when she and Aragorn married in ROTK. However, I think that simply using the love scene where the two kissed on the bridge in FOTR and maybe have Aragorn daydreaming about her in TTT would have sufficed. She didn't have to save Frodo from the Nazgul or bring Aragorn "back to life" when he fell off of the cliff...which didn't happen in the book. The roles of Eowyn and Galadriel were closer to the book versions than Arwen's was, although Celeborn's role was greatly reduced to shine more light on Galadriel's part.
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote