View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting What ifs . . . The Grey Company

I really hate what ifs, but as I watched the Elrond and Galadriel sequences in the films I came to a remarkably brilliant, and altogether futile and much too late idea. <P>Helm's Deep; just before the storm breaks on the fortress of the Hammerhand. . .<P>"IT'S A BIT TIGHT AROUND THE CHEST!"<BR>Aragorn and Legolas smile, Gimli's stature is yet again a source of humor in a grim situation, and he seems to know it and not mind at all. Suddenly, from outside the gates a horn blows loud and clear, cutting the air of the ravine like some elvish instrument.<BR>"That is no orc horn . . ." <P>But instead of a slightly altered militaristic marching music based upon that of Lothlorien, we hear a slightly altered militaristic marching music based on that of Rivendell, and a well ordered troop clad in grey cloaks, clasped at the shoulder with a rayed star marches without sound into the Hornburg. Men of the Rohirrim look at them, and grin - support has come, suddenly appearing in the night. At the head of the warriors, two of the company are in armor (not unlike that Haldir wore in the theatrical cut, if not quite as flashy), Aragorn walks out to find the leader of the band of elf-clad warriors announce to Theoden-King; "We bring you a message; We are looking for one Aragorn Dunadan, we bring message from Elrond of Rivendell." Aragorn rushes out, hugs the captain, because instead of Haldir, Craig Parker (or someone else) portrays Halbarad. "Look Gimli, do you not see Elrond's sons - their gear is less sombre than that of the rangers." "Aye, but I still have to get into that shirt of mail."<P>Instead of a whole lot of elves at Helm's Deep, who came out of Lothlorien with a message from Rivendell, weird as that is; we would have the Grey Company. They could shoot some arrows, fight with long weapons (they packed spears) and a good chunk of them could have gotten picked off so there were only the thirty to go with Aragorn, and still it would have made the films infinitely better. <P>Meanwhile, even if nothing else was changed regarding Elrond bringing the sword reforged to Dunharrow, and speaking the words of the Seer, he could have given Aragorn the blade and Elladan and Elrohir could have been there too, or not, but it would have rocked then because the Grey Company would be established from The Two Towers and not just sprung in the middle of Return of the King on us, we'd know they were with Aragorn, and remember they were 'rangers' like Barliman talked about and when the Black Ships of Umbar sailed up and Aragorn and Legolas and Gimli jumped out of one boat, three Grey Companions could have leapt from the other boats, and then the dead could have come and it still would have been ten times better. <P>I love Return of the King and how it turned out, it's my favorite movie ever. But I pined when I heard the Grey Company was removed, and since we all rued the elves at Helm's Deep, I figured the greatest idea ever would be to kill two birds with one stone and do what I mentioned above. The guys wouldn't even need many lines, just enough to know that they will grimly and silently follow Aragorn to "whatever end". Heck, Halbarad could take Haldir's place and die at Helm's Deep, and see bodies and the horror of war.<P>I hate what ifs, but since I found one that pretty much made me hyperventilate for a few hours, I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it and see if anybody else would get shivers down their spine. Sorry to rub salt in the wounds.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote