Thread: A boy's world?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 09:11 PM   #2
Foolofatook
Pile O'Bones

Foolofatook has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

To try and respond to your post is an undertaking indeed. However, I would like to touch on my own interpretation of a few of your points and questions.

1. Adolescent Heroes: It certainly explains a lot as to when fans become fans. I myself picked up the books in fourth and fifth grade so the characters would speak to me better if they weren't adult yet. Looking back with the question in my mind I would say that Muir is quite right in this argument. However I too would like to question his standing on what makes a character adult. And what makes him such a ladies man that he can call one of the greatest epics of all time unreal in its relationships. Furthermore I would argue that despite the characters being young boys there is a depth of character rarely seen in epics of adult characters found in the Lord of the Rings. Even though the story appealed to me at ages 10 and 11 they still appeal to me now at age 18. I have grown up and discovered more detail and depth to Tolkien as a result. Huir simply did not take the time to look over the characters before condemning their relationships as unmeaningful and adolescent.

2) While it may be true that few major characters die in the Lord of the Rings and of those that live most live happily ever after there is an overall theme of sadness permiating the books. The passing of the elves is the loss of so much that is good in the world that there is more loss than gain. Characters may not be casualties but the world as a whole is casualty.

Ok, sorry I cant answer the rest but good luck getting a full response. Whooh