View Single Post
Old 08-26-2003, 08:23 AM   #27
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Surely this line has been brought out solely for the benefit of loyal Tolkien fans, just like every other aspect of the predictably hugely profitable films. It can't have anything to do with the fact that some people will buy absolutely anything, or that Mattel can offer New Line Cinema an obscene amount of money for the right to use the characters in their films. No, just like the mass of other cheesy figurines, including those that McDonald's were giving away, they're all created just for us, the fans.<P>Look at those DVDs: some people would have released the film, then video and DVD versions; but just for us, New Line have been releasing special editions and special special editions. I'm not one of those cynics who thinks that's all aimed at making people buy more than one copy of the same film: they're doing it just so that we can all enjoy the works of that guy who wrote the books, whatever his name was. Anyway there's a full documentary about the making of the 'making of <I>The Two Towers</I>' documentary on <I>The Two Towers</I> Extended Version Special VIP Edition that mentions him twice. That's out in a couple of months and will feature a new and larger price tag.<P>We should stop complaining about these products and jolly well bow down and worship the people who so altruistically created them out of sheer love of whatsisname, the author. By the way, isn't it great how they're using the same names that are in the books? It shows how much they care about getting it just right.