View Single Post
Old 12-01-2003, 01:00 PM   #303
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The first film was basically just Bakshi's version re-filmed<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>*raises an eyebrow* Excuse me? My dear, I've seen the Bakshi version, and these are nothing like the Bakshi version. When PJ brings something up (i.e. Narsil), he follows it up with explanation as to why it is important later, instead of just letting it hang. And, if you didn't notice, PJ actually finished making the movies. Or couldn't you tell that the Bakshi one stopped halfway through?<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR> There are a lot of little details you never see in the movie that prove how much Peter loved the stories.<BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>I would have liked to have seen them!<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You evidently aren't paying enough attention. *Note: I hate to be supporting this scene, but here it goes.* Remember those rather ill-placed scenes of Arwen in Rivendell? Much of that dialogue, especially on Elrond's part, was directly from the Appendicies in RotK. If you've actually read the Books thoroughly, including the Appendicies, you can find many interesting references to other parts of the story, and even to passages in Silm and UT.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think Bakshi did a better job of Fellowship in an hour than Jackson did in 3+.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>... Just what is going on in your little mind? The Bakshi version is awful. Okay, it gets points for being amusing, but still; it left out so many parts of the story, some of which PJ left in, I might add, and some of the changes were absolutely horrendous. Like how they evidently didn't think that the actual story would hold people's attention, and so added superfluous special effects and background paintings, which were more annoying than mood-setting.<P>I think you need to give PJ a little more credit. It would be incredibly hard to film the Books exactly; and PJ did the best he could. Sure, some of his alterations weren't the best, but he did what he thought would appeal to the audience. I'll admit, I'm annoyed about a few of the changes myself, such as the removal of the Scouring from the next movie, but I do acknowledge that it takes a lot of work to bring such a deep and complex work of literature to the screen, and so some allowance should be given. Some of the changes were, in fact, just pieces that were exposition in the novel, and exposition is incredibly hard to transfer to film, not only in making it sound correct, but in holding the audience's attention.<P>I personally think PJ could have done a better job on some parts than he did. But I also think he did some scenes brilliantly, and that he really did stay true to the feel of Tolkien.<P>You can cry and moan about it all you want, <B>pandora</B>, just don't do it here. This thread is for people who enjoy the Movies, not those who hate them.<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~