View Single Post
Old 12-01-2003, 04:17 PM   #307
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The scene in Bree with the Nazgul and the beds is a direct lift from Bakshi despite not being in the book,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Just because Tolkien didn't describe it, doesn't mean it didn't happen in the Books. I thought the scene was well-placed, and a chance to get in a bit of exposition without sounding silly.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>the opening is another direct lift which Bakshi needed because of the failure to get the film finished,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>What Tolkien-based film <I>wouldn't</I> need a prologue? Even the Books have one.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and various parts of Sam's dialog are lifted from the animated version.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Such as what? All the bits I noticed as coinciding happened to come from the Books as well.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>PJ's version of Elrond gives me more trouble than Arwen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Fair enough. I actually find them equally irritating, and so skip most of the scenes involving them. One thing I found particularly annoying about Fellowship was Arwen's usurping of Glorfindel's part. A mistake shared by the Bakshi version I might add, with Glorfindel being preempted by Legolas.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Again, I generally agree, although the special effects did a much better job of conveying a mystical struggle between Saurman and Gandalf than the version in PJ, which must rank as one of the worst scenes in any film ever made.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I actually thought PJ's version was rather amusing... I just think it's rather stupid of the Bakshi artists to think that if something is <B>magic</B> it has to be <B>bright</B> and <B>sparkly</B>.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Another place where Bakshi's mess managed to come together was the nazgul.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'm always inclined to laugh at the Nazgul. They act like escapees from a leper colony.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Where PJ sticks to the book he succeeds and succeeds well. Where he diverges he fails every time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>It's really hard to argue with that, so I won't. I'll just say that for some people, the changes are less appalling than they are to others. Like, I really can't handle the whole warg attack and "death" of Aragorn, and some people thought the scene was well done and enjoyed it. It depends on the person, and how much of a purist they are. <P>Oh, and to those interested, <A HREF="http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm" TARGET=_blank>*here*</A> is an interesting look at Bakshi's LotR. Good for a laugh. <P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~