View Single Post
Old 10-09-2003, 05:33 AM   #9
numenorean

Silmaril

Nicely phrased <B>Lord of Angmar </B> cant believe I forgot! It seems that Númenorean worship of Eru Ilúvatar on the Meneltarma was marked by the fact that “no building, no raised altar, not even a pile of undressed stones, ever stood there”UT P.166. This is in complete contrast to the worship of Melkor after the shadow fell, when the Black Númenoreans built tombs, altars and temples in fealty to Melkor, not just on Númenor but on Middle-earth itself (Akallabêth). Does JRRT therefore deliberately equate simple pagan naturism with good, and grandiose man-made constructivism with bad?<BR><B>Silmiel</B>, your point probably depends on what you define as ‘worship’ I guess, but from what we know of Melkor and Sauron they must have been well pleased with the many that were slayed “cruelly upon their altars” in the name of darkness.<BR>As to the original scene on Amon Hen, I thought it was excellent. The decaying structures and fallen statues covered in leaves and moss seemed really poignant and befitting of a once hallowed place gone to ruin. As I thought more about this scene I wondered if PJ/JRRT deliberately used this atmosphere of a fallen great civilization to reflect and draw focus to the personal fall and ruin of the once great Boromir?<p>[ October 09, 2003: Message edited by: Numenorean ]