View Single Post
Old 10-06-2003, 12:16 PM   #13
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But Merry is not stupid, and Pippin is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Woohoo! You's cruisin' fo' a good case o' whoopa**, <B>GrimaWormtounge</B>! (can I say that? Well, I self-censored it just in case!) And thanks for getting to the punch first, <B>Sapphire_Flame</B>!<P>But seriously now, I don't fault anyone for their opinions; I just happen to be madly in love with Pippin and I believe those who think him stupid just may not have looked closely enough at his character. And I also believe him to be not only intelligent, but foresighted in a unique way! For more information on what I'm talking about, see this thread: <P><A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002586" TARGET=_blank>Pippin's Sixth Sense</A><P>I don't fault you for tipping the balance towards Merry on Dom's account, either; it is only natural to lean towards those who are pleasing to the eye, brain, etc. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>the only reason i like Frodo is because of Elijah Wood) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Strangely enough <B>'lijahsgirl</B>, the only reason I liked Elijah Wood was because of Frodo! (And recently, because of Huck Finn...). I think I like Elijah and Billy so well because Frodo and Pippin are my favorite characters in LOTR; thus, I am more concerned for them in the movies and see more to their portrayals. (For instance, I refuse to believe the popular notion that Elijah's Frodo is a wimp due to the "doe-in-the-headlights" way he is supposed to have been directed to play him--there are plenty of quiet strength moments to movie Frodo, although some of my favorites are left out... ) I also believe that time constraints forced a simpler resolution to the Ents deciding to storm Isengard, and the way Pippin manages to convince them is not canon, but it does illustrate a key maturation element in Pippin's character and contrasts him to Merry, who seemed to be beating against a wall in those scenes. (I felt so bad for Merry!)<P>Anyway, welcome to the Downs, <B>GrimaWormtounge</B> and <B>'lijahsgirl</B>! May your experiences be enriching in this, your grand entry into the world of the dead! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote