View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 09:36 PM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<A HREF="http://www.sundayherald.com/38504" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is an article that I found on ToRN that explains more about the problems New Line are having in acquring the rights to the Hobbit from the Tolkien estate. Apparently, while Tolkien sold the film rights to LotR, he retained the rights to the Hobbit. And Christopher Tolkien, who harbours serious reservations about the film versions of LotR, is reluctant to allow them to film the Hobbit. Sadly, the films also appear to have given rise to a rift between Christopher and his son, Simon. The Tolkien family appears to quite split on this issue, with views ranging from Christopher’s reservations to the enthusiasm of Tolkien’s grandson, who plays a Man of Godor in the final instalment.<P>Interesting that Jackson thinks Arwen might have a role in the film. I would certainly not like to see her make more than a cameo appearance in Rivendell. I did wonder when I thought about how the Hobbit might be filmed whether Rivendell might be left out. After all, the Trolls are the only encounter between Hobbiton and Rivendell, so it would seem to break the tension at rather an inappropriate point in terms of film pacing. It would be interesting to see Hugo Weaving play a non-grumpy Elrond though. <P>Personally, I think it would be fun if Orlando Bloom, suitably aged, was to play Thranduil. <P>The point was made by Eurytus on <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000408" TARGET=_blank>this thread</A> that it might make sense in film terms to cut down on the number of Dwarves. Although it would be a shame, I can see the point that he is getting at, since it would be difficult at first for viewers to tell the difference between all of them. They would have to be well differentiated, although it might work if only those that Eurytus mentioned (Thorin, Balin, Bombur, Gloin and perhaps Fili and Kili) were given a prominent role. Mind you, there might be problems in getting actors signed up, given the suffering that John Rhys-Davies went through with the make-up. <P>Even with the Hobbit being a shorter story, cuts would be inevitable. As I said, I thought that Rivendell might go. Beorn might also suffer, although I would hope not, particularly given the role that he plays in the Battle of Five Armies. Which brings me to a particular concern that I have over the Hobbit being brought to the screen. How will the final chapters be handled? The main focus of the film would have to be Smaug, since he is the reason for the Quest. And so his death would seem to be the obvious climax. And yet there is a whole Battle to get through after Smaug dies, and it might seem strange in cinematographic terms to have this all play out after the main focus of the film has been vanquished. I can see some re-writing going on here, and yet it is difficult to see how this would be done, since Smaug has to die before the Battle and the Battle certainly could not be left out (and I can’t see Jackson leaving it out, given his penchant for battle scenes ). Anyone have any ideas on how this might be done?