View Single Post
Old 12-17-2003, 04:03 PM   #16
Carorëiel
Haunting Spirit

Carorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just got home from seeing it--I'm a bit overwhelmed. I need at least two viewings before it all sets in.<P>But my first impressions are thus (not necessarily in any sort of order):<P>--Saruman feels too easily dispensed with.<P>--Billy Boyd was amazing.<P>--Elijah Wood was amazing.<P>--Eowyn and Faramir's stories seem ridiculously un-tied up (especially since there was such an effort to tie pretty much everything else up). I think this bit would feel unfinished even to people who haven't read the books. <P>--The Mouth of Sauron would have been a nice inclusion. Without him, it seems that less is at stake.<P>--Too much was cut from Frodo and Sam's journey through Mordor. Just little moments really--but I missed them. Things like Sam finding Frodo through singing and the forced march because F&S are assumed to be orcs. (That last one really isn't so little, actually.) <P>--What is <I>up</I> with the bit where Frodo tells Sam to go away? And Sam actually <I>does</I>. No good at all. <P>--The scene between Faramir and Denethor where Denethor admits he wishes Faramir had been the one to die is really good.<P>--Thought the pacing was very good--much better than tTT.<P>--Where is Aragorn revealing himself to Sauron through the palantir?<P>--Starting with Deagol and Smeagol was cool.<P>--Was extremely gratified to see that the movie ended just as the book did--with Sam coming home. Very nice.<P>--Loved the beginning of the end credits with the pictures of the characters next to the credit for each actor. Classy.<P>I think that's enough for now.<P>More later perhaps--will certainly be seeing it again.