Thread: Sauron's ESP
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #30
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

On Osanwe, Olorin provided this link above. I will provide it again, but it is the same link, and Olorin should be credited for supplying it:

A review: JRRT's Osanwe-Kenta [ missing bit of The Silm.]

The thread-owner is lindil, who I consider The Osanwe Expert.

This raises another question.

If I just had to have the answer to this (or any similar) question, how would I aproach researching it?

First I'd look for evidence in the "three main works": Hobbit, LotR, Silm.

Then the appendices.

Then "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien", an aboslutely indispensable asset to any serious Tolkien fan. He discusses all kinds of obscure topics. The book comes with comes with a very handy and usable index. If you want to know what Tolkien was thinking, and you don't have a copy-- you wantsss it, you neeeeedssss it, precioussss.

Then I'd look in the Histories (History of Middle-Earth, HoME.) For information in HoME books that I don't have, I will grovel and beg for the answers from somebody like lindil, Sharku, Mr. Underhill, Sharon... you get the idea.

If after all this you're still stuck, then there are the very obscure articles and books that TOlkien wrote. But odds are if you've gotten this far and not found the answer, then consider asking a different question.

So, if you haven't got it yet, put "Letters of J. R, R. Tolkien" on your wish list.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:06 PM January 05, 2004: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]