View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004, 01:25 PM   #36
AlexTook

Tolkien

My favorite movies in decreasing order are:<BR>1) FOTR Extended Edition<BR>2) FOTR<BR>3) TT Extended Edition<BR>4) ROTK Extended Edition<BR>5) ROTK<BR>6) TT<BR>From the begining FOTR had many mistakes: Frodo too young, wimpy and whinny, Sam as his friend instead of his servant, The eye connection to the ring too powerful outside Mordor, Elrond, the poor individual characterization of the fellowship members, the butchery of Galadriel and Lothlorien, and Frodo not abandoning the fellowship in secret. <P>Based on the changes of Frodo and the Eye the story went down hill from then on and Peter Jackson had to catch up with the characterizations of the fellowship on the TT and by ROTK it was too late.(Both FOTR and TT Extended Editions improved on that)<P>From the FOTR, I liked the music, prologue, Saruman, Gandalf, Isengard, the Shire, the shortened Council of Elrond, Arwen, Moria and Boromir.<P>After viewing TT, I left the theater upset because the story was getting worse.<BR>I did not like: Frodo, Faramir, the Arwen/Elrond dream sequences, the Ents not deciding to go to war at the entmoot and Peter Jackson giving an unconvincing story of how they finally do, the change in the focus of the movie from the Hobbits to Aragorn, the loss of both the secrecy of the ring and the task of its destruction by the Hobbits, the free showing of the ring to the Nazgul made no sense whatsoever.<P>I did like the Editing, Ents, Orcs, Uruks, Saruman, Wormtongue, Gollum, Sam, Rohans, Medusel, and the Battles at Helms Deep and Isengard.<BR>The Extended Edition improved the TT more so than the EE did for FOTR.<P>Why The Return of the King the last?<BR>Because it:<BR>1) Had the most changes and omissions of the storyline of all 3 movies.<BR>2) Did not correct the damage done to Frodo, Faramir, Aragorn, and Elrond<BR>3) Ruined strategies of the War of the ring<BR>4) Damaged the characters of Théoden, Denethor, Éowyn, Gandalf, Gondorians and Sauron.<P>I did like: the acting (of Sean Austin, Ian McKellen, John Noble, David Wenham., Bernard Hill, Patrick Mohanan, and Billy Boyd), Minas Morgul, beacons, Mûmakil, Grond, Minas Tirith, the stairs, Cirith Ungol, Shekob, parts of the Battle of the Pelennor, The singing of Gollum, Pippin and Aragorn.<P>I can't decide what the worst part is: The editing of the Mount Doom/Black gate sequences, Frodo pushing Gollum, Sam(Darth Vader)rescuing maimed Frodo at the edge of the Death Star, the tumbling of the Lighthouse of Alexandria, the omissions and changes of the Choices of Samwise, Gandalf first hitting Denethor and later pushing him into the fire or brave Éowyn shaking with terror and forgetting her line: 'Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in piece!'<P>I am sure that the ROTK EE will improve on the editing, music, character development, history, storyline and ending but will not fix the big mistakes with PJ CG story, or omissions and changes made of the JR Tolkien Masterpiece.