View Single Post
Old 02-15-2004, 07:35 PM   #18
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Good to see you, Finwe.

I think Finwe and Maedhros both have interesting ideas, but I'm hesitant to move in that direction. We seem to be inventing a bit much if we say that he went to Balar then returned to the mouths of Sirion.

I like Findegil's suggestion, though I don't really agree on this one point:

Quote:
But I do not think that they accepted Gil-Galad as their king (not jet, when Earendil was lost at the sea and the folk was diminished by the attack of the Feanorinas, this would be other wise).
My understanding is that, while Earendil was the lord of the people living at the havens, Gil-Galad was at this point the overall "King of the Noldor" - he had inherited the title that Maedhros passed on to Fingolfin, which had then gone to Fingon and then to Turgon. In other words, I intepret the note as meaning "king of the Noldor, at Sirion's mouths" rather than "king of those Noldor that dwelt at Sirion's mouths".

But that has little bearing on our revisions. I agree with Findegil that we can retain the scenario where Gil-Galad lives on Balar and, with Cirdan, comes too late to the aid of the people of Gondolin and Doriath.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote