View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 06:11 PM   #71
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

As they walked, Narin replied, "Oh, yes, I don't think I've been more excited about anything since I left the Iron Hills. I only wish we didn't have to take such a long way around Mirkwood."

"Me too!" Loni agreed, "It is troublesome though, isn't it? Bother Elves."

They walked for a while more before someone stopped the group, pointing out some strange looking cloud formation. "Snake." said one Dwarf, "It's an Elf." said another, and, "a hearth!". Narin said to the mention of a snake, "What an ill omen. It looks like a river to me."

Loni shook his head, Superstitious rot. Although he belived in some bad omans, clouds were not bad news bringers. "The only bad things they bring is rain- and that's good in it's way!" Loni said to himself.

The rest of the group gradually let seeing the clouds go as well. At this Loni smiled secretly to himself, Glad they listened to me. He thought proudly to himself. The next while of walking was also fairly uneventful, so, Loni being who he was, called out to Nali: "Sing us another song, won't you lad?"

"Aye." answered Nali, and began,

"A group of dwarves set out at last
but a conflict has arisen all too fast
there is a demon in the sky
that plagues the minds of the dwarves as they walk by
a mass of fluff changing in shape
from trees, hills, rivers and capes
it puzzles the dwarves with great pain
as it is a question that would even puzzle king Dain
but it passed into blue
as it changes its many hues
and appears no more today
but it will come back anyway!"

Loni shook his head again at the words of the song, but liked the tune nonetheless.