View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #32
Laivine
Wight

Laivine has just left Hobbiton.
So many of the quotes that have already been posted, are quotes which mean alot to me in the books, and some make me laugh every time I read them. But still, there are a few quotes (well actually there are more than a few, but I'm lazy, and can't be bothered to type in that many) that I think should be mentioned. Oh, and some of the quotes might miss parts; like the first one, where the speakers are left out etc. I have alot of quotes and thing like that written down in a little book, and I'm using that when I write them in.

Quote:
"Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in daylight?" "A man may do both, for not we, but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"
Quote:
In the morning counsels are best, and night changes many thoughts.
Quote:
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Quote:
Hope is not victory.
Ooh, and last, but in my opinion, not least.. I cannot help but laugh, when I picture the hobbits flying away.
Quote:
Well, here is the strangest riddle we yet have found!" exclaimed Legolas. "A bound prisoner escapes both from the Orcs and from the surrounding horsemen. He then stops, while in the open, and cuts his bonds with an orc-knife. But how and why? For if his legs were tied, how did he walk? And if his arms were tied, how did he use the knife? And if neither were tied, why did he cut the cords at all? Being pleased with his skill, he then sat down and quietly ate som waybread! That at least is enough to show that he was a hobbit, without the mallorn-leaf. After that, I suppose he turned his arms into wings and flew away singing into the trees. It should be easy to find him; we only need wings ourselves!
I do not doubt I could go on forever, but it would probably be best if I just stop here..