View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 08:25 AM   #36
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
I came across the book six years ago, and that did not make me an expert any subject on the great Prof T's work either.

Hey, people, chill out! I am not too hot on the films and whatnots, but everybody want to show their opinions on stuff that attract them at one time or another. I would not like it very much if somebody tell me that a Trolll is actually a thin axe-throwing gecko and those ugly giants pulling the Grond in the movie are actually Ogres. (pun intended) But hey, it has never really affected our community much, right? At least, I have not seen a post yet from a newbie who try to argue that Balrogs CAN fly just because he saw a winged Balrog in the movie.

We should really be glad that more people are becoming interested in the works of Prof T. Sure, some goons would like to think that the books are based on the show. I am certainly of the opinion that long after the images of "Legolas" slaughtering an Oliphaunt are past, the actually events in the Book will still be remembered and debated, if not by scholars, then by spoony bards like me!
Hot, crispy nice hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote