View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 11:51 PM   #283
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Andreth and Lilac

Andreth hurried over to the waiting wagons, passing out small pieces of candy to the children who'd been staying at the Inn. She was soon besieged with eager hands from all sides, and her wicker basket of candies was quickly emptied. She had one other keepsake tucked underneath her cloak: a book of tales that she had read to the children while they had been recovering at the Pony. She had quietly approached Ian and slipped the volume into his eager hands, asking him to make sure that he and Meri would share the stories with the other children, many of whom did not know how to read. He had grinned widely and promised to do that.

Andreth also made a point to speak with Kirima and wish her well. At one time, the Innkeeper had hoped that the woman would decide to make Bree her home and had even offered her a post and lodging at the Pony. Although surprised and pleased by this, Kirima had declined, explaining that she could not desert her kin and friends, not when they'd been through so much together and a happier ending seemed almost in reach. They had parted with a hug and had promised not to forget one another.

After spying Lilac seated on a log near the back of the crowd, Andreth dried her eyes and went over to her, sitting down for a casual chat. Gradually, the conversation came around to more serious matters. "I've never thanked you, Lilac, for visiting me that day. If you hadn't said something, I would still be thinking these decent people were monstors."

"My words helped. But you were willing to listen. There were many who would have tossed me out on my ear! "

Andreth laughed and squeezed Lilac's hand, then turned serious again. "Still, I can't help but wonder about what Guthwine said. That, without the raids on the farms, we wouldn't have listened to their plea. Bree only helped because we were forced into it. I don't want to think that's true, but he may be right."

Andreth's words trailed off as she looked over at her friend. The older woman shrugged her shoulders in reply, "Who can say? The Mayor and Berilac are decent folk. Perhaps if Lotar and Guthwine had come at the very beginning, there wouldn't have beed need for the raids. But I don't expect we'll ever know for sure."

Lilac gazed about the grove and smiled, "But that's not our only question without an answer. Look at your neighbors and tell me what you see."

The Innkeeper scanned her fellow Breelanders and shrugged, "Folk chatting, getting an eyeful of the refugees, and a few neighbors doing business with each other. Looks fairly normal to me, despite all the excitement."

"Aye, fairly normal. Big and little folk together...."

Andreth looked up sharply and shook her head, "You're right Lilac. This would never have happened just three months ago. Hobbits and Men standing next to each other as if it was the most normal thing in the world."

Lilac smiled, "It has become normal for Bree. But as far as I know, it's the only place where this has happened."

"And would it have happened without the threat from the bandits?" Andreth pressed.

"I've no idea, but I'm glad it did happen. It should make things easier for us in the future."

Andreth nodded her head and smiled, as she saw her son and Kali scampering off together across the grove.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 02-26-2004 at 02:24 PM.