View Single Post
Old 04-19-2002, 06:45 PM   #11
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nice topic [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I consider myself an occasional writer and regular storyteller. And I am under no illusions about my limitations (or failings) as an author ...

Personally, I think your point about trying not to imitate is very relevant, and one of the reasons why I tend to shy away from any formulaic aspects of fantasy (you may have seen my skits on page 1 of the "Valid Criticisms" thread).

I certainly would not create my own language. That in itself would seem imitative, and in fact unnecessary, as I write best in English. I also have a problem with 'other-worldly' names. Just you try and think of a name that is not redolent of a particular work or author! In my case existing names from other languages will suffice if I need a sense of ancient-ness or exotica.

The bottom line for me is that an extensive cosmology is neither a key factor nor particularly inspiring (" ... hmm, I think I'll spend tonight typing up the courtship rituals of the hidden tribes of Ashtoreth ... "). A narrative is not like an RPG scenario. For example, you do not need to know the history of the First and Second Ages to fully and deeply appreciate LotR. Neither are you obliged to read the appendices (Tolkien was quite happy for people not to). A worldview can be implied, and the reader can be given some responsibility for contextual detail. "Continuity" in the movie sense (ie. some consistency and integrity to any imaginary world) is normally inferred (and thus conferred) by the reader - it's just up to you not to blow it, unless that's an intended part of the deal.

If you know 'The Stories of Eva Luna' by Isabel Allende, or the collected works of Jorge Luis Borges, that might help to signpost (with many caveats) my aspirations as a fantasy writer.

However, as a storyteller, I have no qualms about liberally plagiarising episodes, names and ingenuities from a whole range of sources, and combining them to whatever effect, depending on the time and nature of the telling. Of course success is never guaranteed, so I occasionally throw in an idea or two of my own [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Peace

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: Kalessin ]