View Single Post
Old 04-20-2002, 12:31 PM   #28
Manelwen
Haunting Spirit

Manelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think that there are two great pitfalls of writing. One is starting it and the second is finishing it. I get so involved with my characters and I actually start to love them as if they were my children and I dread when I have to finish the story. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] It's like a good book series. Tolkien is a fine example. You know that I almost screamed when I read the final sentence in the Lord of the Rings series.

I created a race of elves that were like were wolves. They had dark copper color skin, raven colored hair, and golden eyes. The one thing that set them apart from all the other races of elves was the horn that was on the center of their forehead. It curved around to a point on the back of their head and who ever touched it would transfer all of their memories and thoughts to the elf briefly. The horned elves changed into wolves at will. The colors of the wolves were usually black, grey or white but the queen of the wolves was a tell-tale silver and black, they all had a massive horn in the middle of their head and depending on their gender and age it could vary between a small slender horn in human form to a massive pointed horn, or a ridged horn like a ram's that changed into a deer antler. They lived far apart from any other group of people because they thought others wouldn't accept them. I haven't really made an actual story out of it, just character drafts. The queen and her brother mainly. I have tried to develop a language that was a cross between Chinese and French but it isn't quite working out the way I wanted it to.

I have been messing around with these characters for quite some time. It came to me in grade ten for a writing assignment and I have sort of nursed it along. I have sketchbooks crammed with pictures and little stories that are like lengends or explanations. I got the idea from a Chinese myth about wolf messengers from god that were only known to have a single deer antler on its forehead.

I try my hardest not to be influenced by authors. I read a lot so I develop my tastes from there. I write a lot of fanfictions too, so it helps a bit in the further expansion of my talent.

-Manelwen