View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #175
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Gorby

I jumped at the scream that ripped the air and the next thing I knew I was sitting on the ground, trying to figure out just why something was screaming and just how, exactly, I had fallen from the tree. Shadows darted hither and thither, Lira was shooting arrows at them. I grinned broadly for I realized that some of our party had come to rescue us from this horrid copse that kept us from complete escape. With a shrill cry, I danced wildly at the base of the tree, much too exited to realize that there were still men about, and that I could be killed in a wink. But, as the cries of men came dangerously close to me, I stopped my dancing and crouched in a little hollow between the great roots and waited. I hoped that none of our party would be slain. There was Fin, the human girl, Uien, Falowik, and Lumiel -- I shut my eyes and prayed that she would not meet her doom. I couldn’t understand how that Falco could think that Uien and Falowik had set us up -- [I] Falco! [/] My head shot up and I frowned. I hadn’t seen him for hours and I thought he had come along with us. Now that I took a minute to think clearly, he wasn’t here at all -- he had disappeared. Even though I despised him, he was a hobbit and I hoped nothing too serious would happen to him.

I suddenly noticed that all was quiet and that not even the wind whispered of secret things. No clash of iron, no whistles of arrows. Just an immense stillness that echoed in my ears.