View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 03:33 AM   #24
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
For what its worth, I go along with Lyta here. My own understanding is that the evil focussed in the Ring is disipated throughout Middle Earth - evil clearly isn't brought to an end forever with its destruction. Perhaps Frodo thought it would be, which may explain the devastating shock he experienced on returning to the Shire, to find evil still present in the world. Even after his hellish struggle he still finds evil 'alive' & well in the place he sacrificed so much to save.

I suppose that Tolkien was simply making the point that evil objects can be destroyed, but Evil itself cannot - at least not by men. The battle against evil becomes in some way more difficult after the fall of Sauron & the destruction of the Ring, because while they existed at least you knew where the source of evil was, once they were destroyed you would have to be constantly 'looking over your shoulder' because it could be anywhere.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote