View Single Post
Old 03-29-2004, 03:21 PM   #11
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Actually, therein lies a harder question.

One could weigh the 'best' mortal fighter scale ala, what was accomplished in the field of warriordom by said warrior. Just because tales or stories are told, naught can be taken for granted. Living, breathing (or rather dead, not breathing) evidence is required to confirm the calibur of every mighty man. As was said earlier, are we talking warriors or fighters. Think on it this way: Turin probably gets the prize, mainly because of his exploits and the obvious fact that he slew Glaurung. He might also constitute as the best warrior, because of strength of mind, but he was still corrupted by Glaurung's spell. Some, including, perhaps, myself, might believe that a less corruptable but still strengthy warrior such as the noble Theoden King, or Samwise Gamgee, eternal paladin of the Shire, would be more oriented towards real righteous warriordom.

Swordsman: Well, you've got Elendil and Isildur who less is known of in terms of prowess, Aragorn and Boromir, who's exploits have been carefully related, and Turin and Hurin, who bear those epic tales of incredible "slayage" to back them up. But what about heroism. Is this heroism or fighter's power? Fisticuffs or feelings? Though I would not dream of complicating the question, I believe I just did.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote