View Single Post
Old 04-01-2004, 04:24 PM   #136
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Balin

The sun flashed between the mountain crags as it rose into the sky, pushing the grey dusk before it. Below, in the dwarves’ camp, a thin rabbit rotated upon a make-shift spit. Herbs were rubbed into the flesh and the aroma was tantalizing. Loni was busy frying some sausages in a skillet one of the dwarves had thought to bring along, while Flori, Ori, and Balin were holding a sort of counsel among themselves.

“We should send some dwarves to scout,” Flori said glancing at the high walls.

“I don’t think that’s really necessary,” said Balin, his eyebrows squinting in the sun. “Besides, it would be dangerous.”

“What do you mean?” asked Ori. “They would be in stealth, while the whole of us could well enough catch the attention of anything that might be lurking in the dark caverns of Moria.”

Balin nodded, and said, “Yes…there is that. But consider it this way: three dwarves are much more easily surprised, routed, and slain than the rest of us combined. I think we would have a better chance if we attacked at once.”

Flori glanced at Ori and then said softly, “I think you’re making a mistake, Balin.”

“We have what…fourteen dwarves? Say that three were either slain or injured if they were attacked. That would bring the number down to eleven making our force even weaker if there be enemies to fight, which I highly doubt.”

Flori shrugged, and said, “As our leader, we must abide with what you say.”

There was a short pause before Ori said, “I’m going to have a bit of breakfast.”

“After everyone is done eating we will attack or merely enter the Mines, depending on what fortune has placed in our way,” said Balin with a smile.
~~~~~~~
Packs slung across their backs, axes newly sharpened gripped firmly in their hands, the dwarves marched towards the Great Gates. The air was very still, shadows mottled the crumbling steps. Balin decided to consider the stillness as result of empty caverns of Moria rather than as a warning about what may be waiting for them in the dark shadows.

The Gates were in a sad state of disrepair. They sagged upon their tarnished hinges and the rotten wood of the gates was warped from sun, wind, and snow. Balin gazed upon them, mentally determining that the Gates should be among the first things to be fixed once they were settled in Dwarrowdelf.

There was a soft whistle, and crude arrow, fletched with black feathers, arched from the ramparts of the walls, and landed with a shrill ping against Balin’s helmet.