View Single Post
Old 04-09-2004, 06:40 PM   #159
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien The Journal

Orgilion, 2989,

We drove out orcs from the great gate and guard room -- we slew many in the bright sun in the dale. Flói was killed by an arrow. He slew the great troll. We buried Flói in the grass near Mirror mere. Balin gave an eulogy, in which he praised Flói’s braveness. We lopped the troll’s head, and impaled it upon a steak, which marks his grave. Balin, I think, is quite upset with his death…I honestly believe he thought Moria was just abandoned, and that no danger lurked there. Now he thinks it is just a handful of orcs to be gotten rid of…I hope he doesn’t do anything foolish.

Oranor, 2989

We mourned a day for Flói and to give a chance to heal the other dwarves’ wounds. It was a good decision, even though it gives the orcs a chance to gather their troops together and to come up with a devilish plan to exterminate us. But, honestly, orcs are not the brightest of folk and they certainly aren’t the best tempered.

Orithil, 2989

The orcs of the North End have been driven away. We have taken the Twenty-first Hall of North end to dwell in. There is a shaft that the morning sun pours through. Rather fitting since Balin has set up his seat in the Chamber of Mazarbul.

Orgaladhad, 2989

Dwarves have been scouting the North End -- some have even dared to explore the other, unknown parts of Moria. We have discovered gold and Óin discovered Durin’s Axe; he wandered far into Moria, and was beset by an orc scout, who shot his helm.

Oraearon, 2989

Balin is now lord of Moria.

Ormenel, 2990

Some orcs have been bold enough to attack us, but to no avail. We are too strong for them…I wonder how many of them scurry in the empty mine shafts. I am full of misgiving…we are few, yet why do not the orcs (if there are more) do not combine their strength and attack us?

Oranor, 2990

We have found Truesilver and weapons that are well forged. We have begun again to mine mithril. Balin sent Óin to seek for the upper armories of Third Deep, Frar and Loni were ordered to go westwards, to explore the way to Hollin Gate, and to reopen the gate.

Orithil, 2990

We have been trying to repair the great gates, but the orcs bother us, and tear down our work in the night. When we fire upon them, they slink off into their caves, and return again when we tire of waiting for them to appear. They never attack in the daylight, naturally. They are smart enough for that.

Ormenel, 2990

I have sent letters to the King, describing our progress.

Oraearon, 2990

Balin has been missing for the last two days. Today, he finally appeared. His face was haggard, smeared with dirt. His eyes glinted with fever, and he rubbed his hands as if he was toying with a ring -- yet there was no ring. I suspect he was searching for the Ring of Power.

Orithil, 2990

Nali and myself were exploring certain passages today, when we heard strange rumbles within the deep. There was also a drum…but the noises ceased after a few minutes. It seemed to announce our incoming doom -- but Balin passes it off as delusional fancies. There are nothing but orcs down there, he says. But his eyes have a faraway look to them. I believe he would go down to the deepest depths to find the Dwarven Ring.

Rodyn, 2991

A mine tunnel collapsed today, nearly suffocating Alrik and Oin. Mali looked over the crumbled structure, did some figures, and said bluntly that if it had not been tampered with, it would never have collapsed. There is no traitor among us -- a denizen of the deep did it. Balin refuses to leave. He will not eat, and his beard is falling out. He will not cease his feverish search. I wonder if the Ring is still here.

Orgilion, 2992

We have finally given up repairing the great gate. Mali figures that we have already rebuilt it three times, so Balin ordered it to stop.

Orithil, 2993

Linsie has been discovered to be a female dwarf. The details are rather hazy…but as far as I can figure, Narin and she got into a dreadful row, and fists flew. He knocked her false beard off.