View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 07:38 PM   #114
Kryssal
Wight

Kryssal has just left Hobbiton.
"Borgand," Tane caught the leader just as he was about to leave the table. "There was an incident involving two Rangers and a hillmen. There were no deaths, but this is an already unstable situation. Please advise your men to be extra wary in their patrols."

Borgand had a frown on his face from the news, but nodded before he left.

Tane sighed. The Rangers seemed to be stirring up more trouble with the hillmen than the settlement and if any fighting did break out, the people would get hurt not only because they thought themselves safe, but because this was a barren land. The contest had brought a respite, but it might not last. In the talk with Alearindu it had been affirmed that there were some herds out there, but they weren't as big as she would have liked. Then again, the settlers did bring in the bigger bounty.

Tane walked over to where the Rangers were huddled and found half less than adequately sober.

"I need you all to stop drinking," Tane eyed Sulenar in particular. "As I told Alearindu just a bit ago, before the festival began, there was another incident with the hillmen and I'd like some Ranger patrols out there."

All but Sulenar and Roharan nodded and put down their drinks. Tane reached over and grabbed the front of Sulenar's tunic with one hand and his drink with the other. "Sober up and get out on patrol within the hour," he let the man go and put the drink on the table. "Take shifts, Alearindu is the coordinator and commander, her next is Ethiner. I want two teams of two on constant patrol with four hour shifts. Get rest when it's your turn."

He motioned Ethiner and Alearindu closer to him as the other four started getting up and stretching. "I know you're tired, but there's no time to get more from the camp. I'm going to send replacements near morning," Tane glanced back at the group. "Ethiner, I want you and Sulenar to go out first together, then split the teams as Alearindu and you see fit. I want him sober and under control, he's not behaving as well as I'd like for this, but he is a Ranger."

Tane raised his eyebrows at the two, but they nodded their understanding and turned toward their group.

"And Alearindu, make sure you command with a strong hand in this. Tonight may mean nothing to the settlement, but it's still a lesson for you...and them."

Then Tane walked out of the hall and found his horse. He needed to get back to the camp and find enough replacements for the town and the incoming wagon for the trader Kaben. With the six already on patrol here and Awyrgan and Thoronmir healing, there weren't many extra Rangers. He'd have to pull out some Rangers from posts and then some.

Tane saddled Skit and kicked her into action. He didn't know exactly how he was going to handle this and didn't like that.