View Single Post
Old 04-18-2004, 10:53 PM   #27
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
For any else that is interested, here is a link to the thread that Maédhros asked for on the possible role of Finrod at the Kinslaying. That discussion and this one, of course, have much in common.

Finrod and the Kinslaying

Although I still applaud Finarfin for his decision to turn back (which I believe was heroic in a "cut your losses and save your bacon" kind of way), I think Maédhros has raised a valid point about his motivation. If we assume that Finarfin knew about the events at Alqualondë shortly after they occurred, then the main thing that made him turn back was the Doom of Mandos.

So, was he simply swayed by fear? I don't believe so. Fëanor could have been just as scary as Mandos... well, nearly. I prefer to think that the warning of Manwë and the wrath of the Valar showed Finarfin the error of his people's ways. And also I suppose, most of his followers would have been keen to go home after Mandos had spoken to them. The part Finarfin had to play as leader of his host may have been small; it could have been more of a mob rule kind of decision.

But at any rate, Finarfin stood out from his brothers by not allowing pride to rule him. He reaped the rewards, too. I think you could probably say that he had a happier life than Fingolfin, despite the lost chances for glory, and the fact that he is called a wimp!
doug*platypus is offline   Reply With Quote