View Single Post
Old 05-02-2004, 11:53 AM   #60
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
White Tree Birthday Greetings and Insanity

Nova and Orofaniel hurried over to the Party Tree. It was not so crowdy now, and Nova thought it an excellent opportunity to finally write a Birthday Greeting. The two of them stood still, silently watching some of the other notes. (Nova went ahead and read those she had previously missed.)

"So, what are we going to write?" Nova asked curiously. She found two pens and some paper, of which she shared with Orofaniel.

"Happy Birthday?!" Orofaniel said questioningly, her tune revealing a strong sense of sarcasm. Nova looked disappointingly at her friend in the Elven Cloak.

"But..." she started, hesitating. "We need something new, something special."

Orofaniel didn't say anything.

"We need something which is.. extraordinary.. something which takes the breath from people!" Nova explained.

Orofaniel nodded, rolling her eyes at the same time. Nova ignored her, continuing:

"We need something which will make people think: Ah! Why didn't I write that? Or: This is a really nice Birthday Greeting, I wish I had come up with such a greeting as well . . Are you following me?" she asked Orofaniel. Her friend nodded again, while growing impatient.

Still, Nova continued:

"You see, my dear friend, Orofaniel . . . This is a special day, it's precious. This is an amazing event, of which we, or at least I, am very happy to be a part of!" Nova bellowed.

Orofaniel sighed, muttering under her breath: "You aren't a part of the party, you are rambling."

Nova gave no heed to Orofaniel. This Birthday Greeting was important to her; she would have to find the 'right' thing to write. She thought for a while, before opening her mouth again, seeing Orofaniel at her side trying to escape the insanity. Nova, however, grabbed her arm and started talking again:

"You see, a greeting is a personal thing. It's a way a person can express herself or himself. It's something that you give, it's therefore important that we take time to think about this. Now, if we try to drain our brains of all useful or un-useful thoughts, we might be able to think clearly . . . " She felt Orofaniel trying to make Nova let go of her arm, but she kept her hand firmly around it.

"See! You're trying to avoid this. You're trying to pretend that this doesn't matter. Orofaniel, try expressing yourself !!! . . . Drain your brain . . " Nova said, concentrating, closing her eyes . . . "That rhymed, by the way," she said merrily, still having her eyes closed.

This, obviously, was the last bit of insanity Orofaniel could handle. She made Nova let go of her arm, and stepped backwards. Nova didn't care, she just continued rambling.

Orofaniel grew redder and redder.

"What about just: Happy Birthday BARROWDOWNS!!!" Orofaniel asked aggressively.

Stunned by the brilliant idea for a Birthday Greeting, Nova jumped into the air (which she is very good at) and shouted: "THAT'S IT!! THAT'S IT!!!"

Nova frowned:"Tis much better than your first suggestion," she added.

They wrote in a hurry. (Nova added a whole lot of exclaimation marks and wrote in caps, just to get this effect Orofaniel had so nicely expressed.)

Nova was pleased by the Birthday Greeting, which was brilliant, and thanked Orofaniel for draining her brain. "Let's go eat, shall we?" Nova asked, taking orofaniel's arm again.

"Let go of my arm, will you?"

Last edited by Novnarwen; 05-02-2004 at 02:23 PM.