View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 05:09 AM   #26
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I see two way to deal with the round earth problem and the Second Prophecy:
1. As we are working with a flat earth version of the legendarium, we can arrgue that the reproters of the Prophecy are the Númenórens which believed that the true shape of Arda was flat even after the Drowning, and that the true West was still there even if no longer physicaly reachable. Since the light of the trees was associated with the bliss of Valinor, the effect it could have would anyway be more on a psychological level than on physical one. Thus if from the true West the light shines out over the now round earth it would create the bliss the Númenóreans long for, especialy in the north-west were the staright way approached, equally if you can see it physically or not.
2. Earlier in this thread I argued, that the time adressed by the Phrophecy concerning Fëanor is after the Dagor Dagorath and deals with Arda healed and not with Arda marred. Since in the Dagor Dagorath Arda marred would be destroyed, I would think that Arda healed or re-made would be a revival of the flat world of old, since that was clearly nearer to the first thoughts of Iluvatar, which anybody would then understand and interpret in the second music in which Arda re-made would take shape. In such a scenario it would be an act of redemption on Maedhros side to lay aside his ruthless claim on the Silmarillis and give them to Yavanna. And for Fëanor it wouuld be the uttermost redemption to lay hands on his own creation an break them for the benefit of all the inhabitains of Arda re-made.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote