View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 05:55 PM   #113
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Adeline's head swam again, and this time it had little to do with the rocking of the boat. She had just spent the past hour, or what seemed to be an hour, being berated from head to foot by Doran, the most detestable of all the men Adeline knew with a name beginning with a 'D'. Master Doran's idea of berating was one of the worst kinds. Like a disciplinarian, the cold, fatherly type, the man would tell her how horrible a little wretch she was, and how thankful she should be that she still had her life, her limbs, and food in her gut, as well as an untouched body. The last was the only thing she was truly thankful for. Thinking idly, as she did at the moment, her living wasn't much to be thankful for.

But then her stomach growled, and the rather vulgar statement 'food in her gut' was sounding more and more like a desire, and certainly something she would be thankful to have. As always, though, her stubbornness would insure that she would not give in. Adeline clenched her teeth and waiting for the rumbling to stop. It persisted, though, as her thoughts turned to her punishment. She was to live without food, to live only with water, for a full three days. Her horrified reaction to this sentence for her disobedience had been found amusing by the Captain and his first mate, who constantly had important business to discuss with Doran. To the bottom of the sea with these corsairs and their rough and tumble ways - She would be without even a scrap of bread for three days?

Adeline sat to the right in front of Doran's desk in a hard and uncomfortable wooden chair. She had been ignored for much of this visit to the Captain's cabin as Doran looked over some maps. The first mate stood directly in front of the desk, awaiting the Captain's direction to speak. Most likely there would be more 'important' information for the two men to discuss, all of which Adeline failed to see the importance in, much less fully understand. Her stomach growled loudly as she adjusted how she sat in the uncomfortable chair, and a gruff laugh came from the first mate, while Doran just smiled. He turned to her with that smile. "Is your punishment paining you so? Only one more day left, my dear. Truly, you cannot say it has been that long. But still, it was wonderful luck that I was free to meet you those days ago so close to your mealtime."

The first mate guffawed at his Captain's remark, rather rowdily for such a statement. "I must say," Adeline began defiantly, "the mealtime conversation is not sorely missed." Doran chuckled at this. "You cannot be saying that I bore you, my Lady! Tell me 'tis not so!" He wore a wide grin as he looked at Adeline, and his eyes were alight with a cold delight. He then turned to his first mate, still grinning. "Tell the Lady, Jurex! Assure her that she does not wish to dine with the crew!"

This time Jurex did not laugh. In fact, his face grew severe in thought, a frown replacing his sly grin from only moments before. "No, Captain." He was silent for a minute, during which Doran eyed him expectantly. "Speaking of mealtimes among the crew sir... Truly, speaking of any free moment among the crew, when they have the time to speak with one another..." Jurex paused another moment, clearly collecting himself with a hard swallow. "What is said among the crew does not bode well. For the first time, they are unsure of where this will lead. We chase after a young man - a boy! - for reasons they do not and cannot understand. Ships have been captured, now two are missing? Rumors have spread concerning battle reports. Many of the men are fairly sure all your luck has run out, while others believe your skill is not what it used to be. While still others believe your skill was never truly tested till now. Whatever they are thinking, Captain, it is not in good mind of heading out to fight this enemy - the first enemy to defy you in such a way. I have even heard a man foretelling a doom that-"

"Quite man! Quiet!" Doran snapped angrily. His smile had with his first mate’s every word. Now an anger greater than any Adeline had seen in the man warred upon his face. All his usual calm severity was gone. And Adeline knew just why. That was the reason she had jumped out of her seat at his shout. Seconds before, Doran had shook his head, sadly in thought, and out of the corner of his eye, had caught sight of the young lady sitting in the chair. Her stomach had been quiet, for long enough.

"Out!" he shouted, now directly at her. Adeline did not move for a moment, but looked at Jurex, whose face was pale, with only a slight tint of color in his cheek from embarrassment. Doran pointed toward the door, and shouted louder, "Out, girl, or I will give you away as a present!" Adeline's legs decided it was time to comply, and she rushed out, closing the door behind her, only muffling the shouts that followed her.