View Single Post
Old 05-06-2004, 06:49 AM   #74
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Nice prose, Ravenhill. Tell me, which part of the Shire do you hail from? I have a tendency to roam, but maybe I know your hobbit hole. Perhaps I could pop in for a cup of tea or see to your garden?
I think that to draw a link between the Valar and wargs is perhaps tenuous, but not without merit, Eomer. Certainly I think we must realise that wargs are not as powerful as the Valar. If they were would they submit themselves at all? However, as you point out the wargs are mighty as compared to their peers, and a few of them have chosen to tread the path of darkness.
I feel that wargs are probably as powerful or maybe slightly less so than the Maiar. I do not think a single warg could challenge Sauron, but I think an army of wargs marching upon Barad-Dur would surely put the fear into the heart of the Red Eye. A fair fight, if we choose to define it in such terms, would probably be a warg and a balrog.
One interesting question which arises regarding wargs is that Bombadil like enigma of why they did not take a more active role in the War of the Ring?
I'd just like to point out now that all my opinions are rebuttable, and I look forward to hearing counter arguments or comments.