View Single Post
Old 05-06-2004, 04:11 PM   #20
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
"Well, there are matters I must attend to with Elrond. Now, why do you men, and elves for that matter, get to know each other a little bit better!" Eirian grinned contently and found a nearby stone bench to sit on.

Everyone seemed very shy and nervous to begin conversation. Eirian was usually a very talkative man, but he was deep in thought as he had been often of late. I would bet that Arathorn and I are the only married men here…, He was going to call that bet, but in the current quiet state he decided not to- a very rare occurrence for the Dundain.

A brisk morning wind stirred in the trees and open courtyards, momentarily blotting out the scarce voices of his fellow companions. As he stood, Eirian noticed the Elf that was incapable of speech, Eldìn being slowly 'talked' to by another Elf that seemed to be his father. Suddenly, a obstreperous giggle was drifting below him. Turning at the odd noise, he saw little Evelyn standing with a bouquet of flowers near his feet.

"Papa, I wan'ed ta tell ya goodbye one more time, 'fore ya left. Mama told me ta come down here real quick so no one can 'nap me," utter stillness drifted over the men as they noticed the small black-haired girl still dressed in her nightgown. "I picked some flowers for everyone- Mama says dat 'day bring good luck an' happiness in travel. Can I pwease give'm ta all of your friends?" The girl's adorable pucker made it impossible to say no.

Eirian smiled and rubbed the small girl's head, taking her hand and leading her to each of the soldiers in turn. She smiled and said hello to everyone separately, giving them a small blue flower as a gift. As Eirian led her last to Arathorn, her pudgy chin dropped in awe. She blushed as Arathorn smiled back to her while accepting a large purple flower graciously. "Well, I love ya Papa. I hope all of ya come back real soon after killin' all dem baddies," She handed the final flower to Eirian, a daisy.

"Thank you Evelyn. Tell Mama that I will miss her dearly and that I love her. Goodbye, my daughter," the last sentence was drawn out as long as one breath would allow. The girl's bright gray eyes swelled with tears, but she fought them off proudly. Kissing his cheek when he kneeled, she sniffled and ran back toward their dwelling.

Hanindur smiled and said from behind Eirian: "You have a wonderful daughter," with that, the other man turned and continued to converse with someone unknown to Eirian. He watched his daughter disappear in the trees, his hand on the hilt of the large broadsword he called his own. The flower in his hand swayed in the breeze; his family was what he was fighting for.