View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 01:30 PM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Silmarillion: What would you add/expand?

This question grew out of an earlier thread by Rimbaud (Stephanos). Rimbaud asked if Christopher Tolkien did a good job compiling and editing the Silmarillion. Several people mentioned they would have liked the Silm to offer a more detailed treatment of particular individuals or tales.

I think this issue is important enough to merit a separate thread, so here goes.

Which stories/ideas in the Silm do you feel should have been presented in greater detail? Why do you feel this way? This may include tales which are actually in HoMe, as well as those for which we simply lack any additional information.

We can even take this game one step further. There are certain essays, characters, ideas, etc. which are delineated only outside of the Silmarillion. Should Christopher Tolkien have included some of these in his edition?

I know that questions like these are dealt with in detail within the revised Silmarilion project. Unfortunately, those of us who frequent the Books don't always look closely enough at the work going on down there. So I thought this question might jog our own minds, and even get some of us (including myself) to pay closer attention to the work the project is actually doing.

I will put my own thoughts down on this later today.

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]