View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 02:56 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

One thing that I would like to have seen in the Silmarillion is the expanded version from the Book of Lost Tales II of The Fall of Gondolin. The Silmarillion version seems so pale and thin compared to the wonderfully moving prose of this entire section. After reading BoLT II's version, the Silmarillion text seemed too abridged and unsatisfactory, not offering the full flavor the tale.

Another section I would like to have seen expanded is Akallabéth. The sections from the Unfinished Tales on the description of Númenor, the tale of Aldarion and Erendis, and the delineation of the Kings of Númenor would have deepened the understanding and appreciation for this important segment in the history of Man.

One last inclusion I would have liked is the verse narrative from the The Lays of Beleriand, The Lay of Leithian. It is a rich and utterly delightful telling of the tale of Beren and Lúthien Tinúviel. It was not completed by JRRT, but what there is of it is entrancing.