View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004, 07:31 AM   #247
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Atharen

As they rode from the Inn, Atharen cleared his throat gently and turned his head slightly to Crystal. She was sitting more tall and stiff than before - stiff and straight. Oh gods, now I've offended her...

"My lady, back in the Inn, when I called you my fiancee...." he paused uneasily, then rushed on. "I did not mean to offend you. It was simply a....well, I wanted to protect you, you needed to have some status for travelling purely with men."

There was a pause, then she murmured back, "That is all? That is the only reason why?"

Her voice was giving nothing away, and Atharen suddenly got a rather ironic glimpse of how frustrating it must be when he veiled his feelings in talking to people. However, he was quick to affirm his story - what, does she think I see her as that man insinuated?! "Yes, my Lady," he replied quickly.

"I see." Another silence fell between them, and Crystal seemed even stiffer than before. Inside, Atharen ached to say more, to come out with why he had said fiancee rather than simply sister, or cousin, or...

If only she knew...