View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004, 06:00 PM   #27
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Elrond, the last of his resolve falling away, finally abandoned his study to see what exactly Arathorn had planned. It was more or less a formality as the twins had already told him all he needed to hear; But he felt compelled to see the Dunedain, as they were taking his elves with on Arathorn's newest venture, and, he reminded himself painfully, every quest could be their last. He descended a set of stairs and walked slowly into the main garden, his eyes taking in sights already long memorized. However he found there was always extreme joy in walking among the greenery. It made him feel young again. At this, Elrond chuckled to him. I am getting old indeed. He shook his, consoling himself in the fact the Cirdan was probably twice as old as he. "I must see him again" He thought aloud, nodding politely to several passers-by with all the grace and severity of the lord of Imladris. Inside, however, Elrond was thinking of a rather unsavory night in Lindon that he had passed with the shipwright, wanting to forget about the matter entirely.

There were times when he wished the memory of the Eldar was not so keen.

Elrond smiled as he came upon Arathorn and his rangers gathered around him. He looks a little like Elros sometimes. The beard, perhaps. Eru only knows he would never let me forget he could grow one. Stroking his own smooth chin as he greeted the Dunedain, Elrond's smile only widened as he talked with Arathorn. The man was always eager for anything, it seemed. Certainly, if the residents thought he deserved a party, it was the least he could do. Elrond's mind began eagerly taking to the proposal, working it around his brain, ideas and tasks flashing before him that he barely had time to acknowledge. And striding back into his home, Elrond hurried to begin the first of them.
-------------
To his mind, the work had gone off well. Elrond stood looking around the Hall of Fire, his back resting comfortably against the southern wall, waiting for Elladan to herd the Dunedain and the elves going with him into the hall. A veritable sensory of good smells and colorful foods lay spread on the tables in front of him, the warm crackling of fires adding to the lull of the water that flowed through Rivendell. When the troop of elves and rangers entered, it was to his extreme pleasure that their collective jaw seemed to drop open in surprise.

Obviously, they had most the like been expecting just a simple meal laid out before them, and not the long dining tables, good chairs and silverware, candles, servants to procure more food should they desire, and many elves of Imladris dressed in their finest robes to bid farewell to the Dunedain. Elrond warmly gestured them all to sit down at the main table and took his place at the head. The honorary party still showed naught but surprise as they sat; And Elrond detected something that disturbed him in their expressions, but pushed it aside. The many elves gathered at side tables while Elladan, Elrohir, Arathorn and the rest of the hunting party just look and him in disbelief. A silence fell, and Elrond cleared his throat, saying, "I have only two words that would carry any meaning with you all tonight, so I will leave all others aside. Eat well!" There was an appreciative chuckle and most started to doll food onto their plates. A few of the rangers still hesitated, though, and so Elrond called for some of their crude ale to put them at ease.

He would greatly regret it.

Last edited by Arvedui III; 05-11-2004 at 08:31 PM.