View Single Post
Old 05-14-2004, 10:52 AM   #73
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
Keep it vague, don't name the religion as that will probably be a turn off. I don't know much about the Catholic religion, but keep their customs in the story and if a Catholic comes upon your story, he can mentally smile as he recognizes them. And if one isn't a Catholic, one can look at the story and appreciate how noble, etc, the characters are.
Imladris, thank you for that. There are still a few problems I have to work out, the main one being the Eucharist... This ties in with the problem I mentioned earlier. If this is an entirely different world than ours (which it very well may be) then there would be no Incarnation, and therefore could there be a Eucharist? I'll be even vaguer on this, because it isn't something I like to take artistic license with! As for Catholic readers, I fancy they'll have a few hints that won't be obvious to others... the characters' constant pleas to the Blessed Virgin Mary to intercede for them, though Mary in Trenian would be Mérali... thus far the characters have recited the Hail Mary once, but in their own language. Catholics might be able to guess, but non-Catholics would have a more difficult time.

Writing with the characters having certain religions, or none at all (atheism, unless I'm to throw in a character who as made that be a religion to him?), though not named inside the book, gives me a chance to do interesting things, such as how the characters will relate to each other. A Catholic and an atheist who are grand friends, or a Catholic and a Catholic who greatly dislike each other... the opportunity to put in really devout Catholics and those who are Catholics only by name but otherwise are not because they have abandoned all practice of their religion. Oh, this is grand, I am getting excited now. More and more characters spring into my head!

Thanks, Helen, for your advice. I suppose if I ever get the nerve to do it I'm going to do it the whole way... that means getting someone who won't balance praise and criticism evenly to spare my feelings. If there's more bad than good I want it all told to me. I can't say as much for my story, but as far as that goes my feelings could not be hurt. My story and the characters in it might be devastated, however.

I usually end up writing in my head because I forget to bring a notebook. Ah well... I'm going places today and tomorrow so I'll just use the posts I've read as a reminder to bring a little notebook. I have a darling pen that lasts nearly forever and doesn't show through on the opposite side of the page, and I have a little notebook about the size of a greeting card that is a binder... so I can add and remove paper at my pleasure! The main trouble is pockets. Most skirts are made with pockets. However I've discovered this temporary sling I've got on serves as an admirable pocket... though it hinders typing!

Quote:
One thing I'd like todowould be carry a tap recorder around,since sometimesI have great dialogue or narrative that gets lost in the transition from thought to page.
I sympathize, Olorin. I had acted out a grand dialogue on the way to a baseball game. It was a bit of speech between two good friends who had grown up with each other and were now serving in the King's court. One was the son of the farmer, the other the son of the soldier. The son of the farmer seemed, as the dialogue went on, a bit insane, saying he was the rightful King of the land, and his friend expressed concern for him but also for his King, fearing the latter might come to harm. He was a bit harsh with the farmer's son, saying that if harm came to the King he would not spare his friend's life, much as it would grieve him. If I had written it down I might have been able to sort through everything weak and flabby and save everything grand and write out a wonderful scene, but it is completely lost to my mind now and even the general idea seems ridiculous. Ah well...

I'm going off to search for that little notebook.