View Single Post
Old 05-15-2004, 08:43 AM   #33
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
Elrohir watched the rangers and soon the elves stand and invite nearly every elf-maiden in the hall to accompany them to the music. Even his brother was caught up in the revelry, a rarity indeed, and was soon in the middle of the floor, slashing down the dance floor with a beutiful elven girl.

The song stopped and Elladan met his eyes, with an unspoken challenge in his smile.

It was: Go ahead, dear brother. Best me, if you can.

Elrohir smiled and drained his flagon of the odd tasting mannish ale. He knew what the challenge was simply because, had the positions been reversed, he would have issued the same one.

The problem was that the elf-maidens who had not already danced were in short supply. Elrohir scanned the hall and settled on a rather young one in a yellow dress.

She blushed as he came up to her and bowed.

"My lady," He said, smiling his best charming smile, "I am afraid that my asking you to dance has rather a selfish tryst in it. You see, my brother over there..." He gestured to his double, who was sitting at the table laughing with a group of rangers and elves. "...has set a rather high standard for me. It is my challenge, dear lady, to defeat him in a test of dancing. And to do that requires a strong, suitable partner. Will you help this poor elf defeat his brother in a petty game of footwork?"

The elf-maiden smiled and took his outstreched hand. "I would be honored, my Lord,"

A new song began as the pair stepped onto the dance floor. It was a spirited song, full of exuberance that enlivened Elrohir's heart and set his feet into motion. The elf-maiden was just as good a dancer as he, and soon the two felt as if they were the only ones in the room, with the music watching over.

Elrohir almost thought that he had grown wings on his feet, and his partner as well, she seemed to glide across the floor and responded to his every movement with a likewise beutiful one of her own. He twirled her and she looked like a flower, her gown flowing around her.

The song ended and the two bowed gracefully.

"My lady,"said Elrohir, "I must say that you are the best dancer I have met in a long time."

"Thank you, my Lord. And you are the best dancer I have ever met."

"Well," Elrohir replied, leading her back to her friends, "You are quite young. You will meet better dancers than I in your long life," he bowed again, "Thank you, my lady."

He turned and met his brothers eyes, with a challenge in his smile as he headed back to the table.

Best that, dear brother.