View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004, 05:16 PM   #62
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Maulká

Maulká watched impassively as Nephil talked to Bestialán about taking another catch. She had to admit, he did have a point about the creatures traveling in groups. It came as an unexpected but pleasant surprise when Nephil invited her as well. She pondered it for a moment.

What had the man said? Oh yes, ‘You would probably kill me and take whatever I find for yourself.’ Well, the idea was tempting, but she knew she stood no chance against Bestialán, and from the small amount she had learned of Nephil, he could likely best her on the jungle as well. It was the price she paid for the infrequency of her surface trips. And though it might differ with a catch as the prize, for Maulká the joy was in the hunt rather than in the glory of a victorious return.

She turned to Nephil. “A kind offer. I thank you for the invitation—I would be pleased to accompany you,” said she, though the courtesy pained her. Loath as she was to admit it, she was looking forward to a cooperative hunt. Even if the catch had companions which waited nearby, a single hunter could not hope to capture (or even avoid being slain by) a group. With more than one hunter though, such a quarry was not out of reach.

There is a rack of javelins in the second lower corridor. Maulká thought, remembering the feel of the fire-hardened wood in her hand. Having accepted the invitation, she was sorely tempted to ask ‘When do you go?’ Trying to maintain an expression of patient attentiveness over her excitement, she stared eagerly at Bestialán, awaiting his response to Nephil’s invitation.