View Single Post
Old 05-30-2004, 06:38 AM   #79
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
The dwarves had walked for several hours when they were forced to stop their march along the plateau. Fallen trees and boulders blocked the entrance into a thin canyon. "Well, what do we do now," muttered Bali. But he kept the thought to himself.

"I suppose we must head into the jungle again. We cannot break out way through this with so few people." And so they did. The dwarves, grumbling and already shouting about flies, headed north into the jungle, as they could not climb down over the plateau without rope. They went around the bottom of the plateau, hoping to find a passage south to the sea.

Bali hacked his way through the weeds, thoroughly tired. When would the grass end? Some of Rhûn was a barren wasteland, and the rest was a dense jungle. To show some encouragement to those behind, Bali called back, "The grass is thicker. The sea must be near!" Then the tree fell, narrowly missing his head. The dwarf jumped back with a shout.

The others gathered to investigate. "Looks like it just fell naturely," remarked Durin. "No smooth cuts in the wood."

Haenir stared at it a bit longer. "But this is a young tree. It could not have fallen on its own. Here, look at its leaves. Green, full of life. This tree was cut!"

The company stood for a while in silence and shock. Then Rhûn must have inhabitants, and they were not friendly. But Bali broke the phase quickly. "Don't jump to conclusions, Haenir. It could have fallen over. After all, there are not tracks. Come! We must move on."

Later, as the dwarves walked, Haenir came up beside Bali. He wispered across to him, "You know as well as I do that that tree was cut! There are people living in Rhûn, and they wish to kill us!"

Bali wispered back, "There probably are, but why scare the younger dwarves without any proof? This jungle is doing things to their minds, and we don't need an assumption to send them into a terrified frenzy. We must keep the peace, Haenir."

The dwarf nodded, but still mumbled loudly, "Why do you always keep the peace by making me look stupid?"