View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 01:00 PM   #167
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
"No!" Asad cried, almost spontaneously though he knew exactly what he was doing and exactly what sort of trouble he would get himself into. Asad walked forward from his spot, walking right up to where the King and the others of the court still stood. Most continued clapping despite Asad's cry, but some stopped to watch the spectacle and some looked towards the edgy guards. "No! This cannot be right! Hearpwine was meant to be the winner! He was meant to be the Bard to the King!"

Asad wondered at the words coming from his own mouth, and how he was defending someone else. Why not complain that I am not the bard? Asad second-guessed himself. Because Hearpwine was meant to be the Bard! I could see it in his eyes! In his heart is all that is needed to be where Eorcyn stood now! Asad's gaze became stony as he glared steadily at the King and Lady Eowyn.

"Excuse me?" The King looked down at Asad. "This was not your decision to make. We have chosen he who is best suited for the task appointed. As I said, there were wonderful bards and singers here today, but Master Eorcyn is most talented and most skilled for this job! Do you understand, young man? Do you?"

"Why do you speak to your king in such a manner?" Lady Eowyn spoke, her voice melodic and smooth but somehow strict and demanding at the same time.

"I speak what I know, and I know that Hearpwine was meant to be standing by my king now! With utmost respect to Master Eorcyn, I must say that Hearpwine would be better suited for the task set before us on this day!"

"And how do you know this?" Eowyn asked, and Asad was surprised at how quickly the argument had shifted to be between them and not he and the King.

"It is in his eyes!" Asad began, but was quickly interrupted.

"In his eyes? What about what music springs from him?"

"He has much to learn!" Asad blurted, and Eowyn furrowed her brows in confusion.

"This means that Eorcyn is best suited, for he knows much in the ways of pleasing sounds and melodies. He is more skilled than young Hearpwine!" Eowyn protested.

"But Hearpwine will learn here and prosper here, learning new lays and tunes that will be more pleasing than aught that Eorcyn knows," Asad had given up being as polite as possible to Eorcyn, and when the battle of words ended Asad promised himself that he would approach Eorcyn and prove the real respect he held at heart and not when arguments were being faught. "Hearpwine writes his own music, and inspiration will come easily here!"

The King waved his hands, and Asad felt a tight grip on his shoulder. Two fair-haired guards were grasping his shoulders, ready to lead him out of the Hall.

"You are all making a big mistake!" Asad cried out as he was dragged away. When he went by a shocked Hearpwine, Asad whispered, "Keep fighting! It was meant to be!"

With that, the guards shoved Asad out of the Hall.

Last edited by Aylwen Dreamsong; 06-01-2004 at 02:56 PM. Reason: stupid me and stupid html