View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 04:30 PM   #18
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Whoa, whoa, Gurthang, hang on. Very few of us, if any, are saying that all fantasy authors rip off Tolkien (I can think of quite a few authors - a lot have been named - whom no sane person would dream of accusing of such a thing). The struggle against an underlying evil etc. has been a literary theme since the beginning of literature, and I doubt anyone disputes that. What we were discussing was whether Wheel of Time and/or Sword of Shannara rips off Tolkien in much more specific things. Personally I don't think WoT really does *that* much (the obviously-Tolkien elements, like Mat & Perrin and the Underhill are not, let's face it, terribly important to the plot, when I think about it they seem more thrown in as a wink to the reader).

On the other hand, I defy anyone to show how Sword of Shannara is *not* a Tolkien ripoff. It's OK for stories to share basic elements, but not the same plot with renamed characters, for God's sake. People have been sued for plagiarism for much less.