View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 12:03 AM   #383
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

A gray, tired horse trotted along the road. Its rider, an equally tired young woman, looked up at the Evening Star near the horizon. The soft light of the moon and stars, that she had traveled by for many nights, was for the moment, overshadowed by light from a congenial-looking inn.

Myrddin smiled. An inn! It had been so long since she had come accross one in her travels. Her first thought was of a bath, and then of a bed, and then of a meal that was not hunted and cooked by her alone.

She reached up and pulled her green hood from her head, revealing bound brown hair and a slightly ruddy face.

Her horse, tired though it was, picked itself up from a walk to a trot, anticipating a quiet night for himself as well.

Myrddin dismounted when she reached the stables, offering the young hobbit a large sum of money for the care of her steed.

"And now to care for myself," she said, as the now-jubilant hobbit walked away, leading her horse.

Inside the inn, Myrddin came upon another woman, who was bustling about in a manner that Myrddin found in most innkeepers. She bowed, and asked for a room.

"Of course," said the innkeeper,"But I am a bit surprised that you knew who I was!"

Myrddin smiled. "I have a knack. Thank you for speaking, because I now also know that you come from Rohan, as I do!"

The innkeeper smiled again, and obliged her by sending a hobbit-lass to show Myrddin a free room, and, much to her delight, a washtub that the hobbit-lass said she would fill as soon as she could.

In the meantime, Myrddin took herself back into the common room, where they seemed to be serving up dishes of hot food that set her mouth watering.

Seated at a small table in a corner, Myrddin set herself to eating, and followed it by the best brew she had had in a while.

It was a happy Myrddin that settled comfortably into her seat, to sip from her second flask and watch the passers-by.