View Single Post
Old 03-21-2001, 04:44 PM   #18
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haunting Spirit
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Kingship

-----------------------------------------
Quothe Lindil:
I would side w/ Michel here I think. Maedhros would have been ruling as King until his capture as the Feanorian Noldor did not anticipate any more Noldor showing up. they would have gone ahead w/ a gov't w/ out anythought of Fingolfin.
------------------------------------------

Maedhros would have ruled the Feanorians until his capture, yes. But this is the same as with Feanor as I have mentioned earlier. The Feanorians accepted Feanor's _claim_, but the majority of the Noldor did not. When Feanor died the Feanorians may have considered Maedhros to be rightfully the (or their) King, but he was not 'THE King of the Noldor'. Maedhros is only said to relinquish up his _claim_ to the Kingship of the Noldor (as a whole), he is not said to possess the Kingship itself (or relinquish it).

Quote:
So I see no other conclusion than that Maedhros was ceding the title of King of King of the feanorian Noldor to Fingolfin.

He was relinquishing his claim to the title of King of the Noldor. He remained cheiftain of the Feanorians, and was _a_ king of the Noldor, as were, for example, Turgon and Finrod.

</p>